Thursday, June 16, 2016

Chicken Enchilada Soup (Tex-Mex Recipe)

The moment I saw this recipe on Six Sisters’ Stuff  facebook page, I knew right away that this is a delicious  dish, and  my family will surely love it.  And I was right! 
So I cooked it right way once I got hold of all the ingredients, including the corn tortilla chips.  The whole house  smelled so good while this is simmering.  My daughter asked me 3 times if the soup is ready, she’s so excited to taste my new recipe.

I made some revisions to the recipe according to our preference. Posted here 2 versions of the recipe, my version and the original recipe.
My husband, since he likes spicy food, added the 3 spices (Cumin, Cayenne & Chilli Pepper) before  eating the soup, and he said its tastier and added more flavor to it.

This dish is so delicious and easy to make. We will surely have this again. Definitely a keeper!!

My version, the Ingredients:
3 cups of homemade chicken stock
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chuncks
2-3 tbsps Taco Seasoning Mix
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 big  pc  green bellpepper, roughly chopped
2 medium sized, onions, roughly chopped
6 pcs. Cloves of garlic, chopped
1 big can, black beans
2 cups  frozen corn
2-3 tbsps Tomato Paste
½ cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
Cilantro, chopped (optional for topping)
Tortilla Corn Chips

This is the original recipe of Six Sisters’ Stuff , Ingredients:
3 cups chicken stock (or you could use broth)
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder (add more if you like it hotter- I had to keep mine kid-friendly!)
2 (14.5 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
1-2 jalapeno peppers, minced (I only used about 1/2 of a pepper- once again, kid-friendly!)
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (you could really use any kind of cheese that you have)
1 cup pepperjack cheese
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I just used a 2 tablespoons of dried cilantro because I didn't have any fresh and it still tasted delicious!)
Tortilla chips

Directions (about 1 hour total): 
In a large stockpot, add chicken stock and heat over medium heat. Add chicken breasts, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper (in my version, I did’nt use these three spices, instead I used the McCormick Taco Seasoning). Simmer about 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside. Add tomatoes, jalapenos (I omitted this), bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pot. Simmer about 30 minutes, covered until tomatoes have begun to break down. Add black beans, corn, and tomato paste and stir to incorporate.   Add cheddar cheese and half of the pepperjack cheese and stir to melt. Return chicken to soup and cook for a couple more minutes until you reach your desired consistency.
If you want thicker soup, add strips of flour tortilla, they will dissolve into the soup to thicken the broth . Add cilantro, reserving some to top individual bowls if desired. Ladle into serving bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, leftover pepperjack cheese and more cilantro if desired.


Notes for the Spices:

I did not use the 3 spices indicated in the original recipe, I tasted each one and find them too spicy for me and my daughter…


Instead …





I used the McCormick Taco Seasoning Mix (I’ve used it several times before and we love the flavor), tho’ this is a bit spicy too, just add it sparingly…  it’s a good thing, I have this on hand J

No comments: